Tuesday, April 11, 2006

MP's On The Clock

I had the misfortune of tuning in for the big Afghanistan debate yesterday (shown live on both CBC and CTV news). I was curious to see if the debate would help clarify the longterm plans for our troops in Afghanistan. I didn't expect a busy populus to drop everything so they could hear members speak to this issue. However, I did expect to see some MP's present, instead it looked like a Montreal Expos game, circa 2004. Where were these people, do they punch out at five?

In the future, if I hear one MP speak too Afghanistan, the first thing a reporter should ask is, were you present on April 10/2006? Sadly, last night's turnout is nothing new for the House of Commons- apart from question period and non-confidence motions, it is rarely full. The situation has become so ridiculous that MP's are strategically seated at the camera positions to give the appearance that there is more people present. I appreciate the fact that MP's have other commitments, but their job should dictate a semi-mandatory presence in the House.

After last night's embarrassment, I propose that MP's should be required to use punchcards. Whenever they physically enter the House of Commons, the time is recorded until they leave- do the same for committee meetings or other formal responsibilities. At election time, MP's attendance should become public knowledge so we have a better handle on what these people are doing with their time. As politicans like to say during an election, they work for the people. I guarantee the House of Commons would look like a beehive of activity if there was formal accountability.

I'm a political geek. I don't expect everyone to have the same interest in politics that I do. However, is it too much to ask that MP's show up for an important debate? Last night was disgraceful and should serve as the final straw for a system of accountability that is clearly flawed. How many people were present for the pay raise vote? I have a strange feeling, busy schedules were cleared for this important national debate.

Update

Progressive Right has a better idea.

1 comment:

kevvyd said...

I'm with you, Steve! It is also shameful that Harper didn't show up, and I'm sorry the "He showed his support by going to Afghanistan" excuse is BS. I say that when I don't want to give to charities - "sorry, I gave at the office".

I think that he was intentionally showing disrespect for a debate he didn't want to have in the first place.